Why wearing pants isn't a good idea and Why its not SocEnt

Or is it a good idea? I think the purpose of this post may well be to disprove its title. Either way, its not SocEnt.




As you've likely heard, Mormon women everywhere plan to wear pants to church tomorrow (read more), in protest of "the fear and intimidation progressive Mormon women have been silently living with decades," and will not protest anything but that. That being said women from LDS Wave may think the protest will have to do a little bit more with there big long list of greivances:


I feel unequal when there are more (a lot more) men’s voices in religious texts, meetings, leadership positions, and decision-making bodies.”
“I feel unequal when callings that don’t necessitate the priesthood are given only to men: Sunday School Presidency, Brigham Young University Presidents, Church Education Commissioners, Ward Mission Leaders, recommend takers at the Temple, etc. (Similarly, men are not currently called in Primary Presidencies and could be.)”
“I feel unequal when women doing the same job are called by different titles (i.e. Sister vs. President) and/or are accessories to rather than serving equally with their husbands, i.e. Mission President’s wives.”
“I feel unequal when my value is primarily linked to being a wife and mother rather than by being a child of God.”
“I feel unequal when the men in my life acknowledge that they have no female spiritual leaders in their wards or communities.”
“I feel unequal when women have less prominent, prestigious, and public roles in the Church, even before and after child-rearing years.”
“I feel unequal when males handle 100% of the Church finances.”
“I feel unequal when I am taught at church that my husband presides in my family, he is the head, and all things being equal, he has the final say.”
“I feel unequal when people preach that men and women are completely equal and in the same breath say the above sentence.”
Yes, in case you were wondering, this does rival in size the grievances in our Declaration of Independence to the King of England. 

So thats great, I think its awesome that women are getting together and marching into Churches of Jesus Christ on Sunday in pants – way to rock it. This demonstrates the excellent capacity of social media to organize people. This event opened Wednesday of this week, and within a few days its made national news. But what happened to your Facebook event page? Facebook event pages don't just crash. As we can see, you women may be luminaries, bringing people to a higher level by enlightenment and then actualizing your goal by achieving more equality within the Church. And you may get told to go home and find a skirt. If that were the case then you may chose the more agressive path of revolution. In general, according to the Luminary's change Matrix, you qualify as a movement seeking social change.




However, obviously this does not qualify as SocEnt. You make no attempt to raise a sustainable source of revenue, and therefore do not qualify according to our previous two point definition – 1) seeks social change 2) raises sustainable revenue. I know this may seem obvious to some but I thought I'd take a moment to seize a simple example.

I am sad to say your movement does not qualify to be SocEnt. However, one thing I can say is that I am happy to be home in WA for tomorrow's service, because I hope to see a whole lot of women in pants come Sunday.

To get more out of your life follow me @GeorgeASimons and #PantsToChurch


Comments

  1. We went to a student married ward in Provo - I didn't see a single pair of pants on any lady in the whole two ward combined thing... but I didn't wear pants either. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some more info on this pleasant ordeal.

    The original page was terminated due to a death threat, according to ABC
    http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/Some-LDS-Women-Wear-Pants-to-Church-in-Protest/hg5IJ-4-CUSH-hrHtrossQ.cspx?rss=20&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    He group first started the campaign on its Facebook page, but that had to be taken down after someone made death threats.

    A screen shot of the original page included this comment: "every single person who is a minority activist should be shot .. in the face … point blank … get over yourselves …."

    And, regardless of all the hubbub, it doesn't sound like a whole lot of women carried through with it, at least I didn't see many on twitter or fb, or real life (not like rl matters).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the latest from the Seattle stake.
    http://www.owlrefinery.com/call-and-answer-wear-pants-to-church-day/

    “Please let me know if you hear of any of us in this stake, including me, speaking in anyway which you feel is degrading to women.

    “Anyone in the Seattle Stake is welcome to wear whatever they feel is consistent with the spirit of the sacrament on Sundays including pants for sisters. I can find no where in the General Handbook of instructions that advises otherwise. I have certainly never as a bishop or stake leader ever received council delineating what someone should wear to our meetings. We seek to be inclusive and invite all to come unto Christ.”
    The Book of Mormon warns us that when we start to judge one another by our outward appearance, we are in fact, the ones who need to repent.
    27 Behold, O God, they cry unto thee, and yet their hearts are swallowed up in their pride. Behold, O God, they cry unto thee with their mouths, while they are puffed up, even to greatness, with the vain things of the world.
    28 Behold, O my God, their costly apparel, and their ringlets, and their bracelets, and their ornaments of gold, and all their precious things which they are ornamented with; and behold, their hearts are set upon them, and yet they cry unto thee and say-We thank thee, O God, for we are a chosen people unto thee, while others shall perish.
    “I agree with Sister Ward that church is a place we need to heal, and to reach out to one another in love.
    “I hope our meetings and leadership send that message everyday.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What did they Say?

What if we made a school?